Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Step 2: Decide What You Want

When you spend all day, every day, focused on getting things done as part of a team where one person is relying on you to toss something their way at a specified time, it's hard to get out of that mindset.

Paralyzed by indecision, with wide-open space of unscheduled time, I sometimes find that answering the question, "What do I want to do now?" can be challenging.

There are the default, dreamy, pie-in-the-sky answers that always lurk in my back pocket: Go to Paris. Take up residence at the beach. And on some days, find a way to become queen of the world where everything I say, goes. (OK, we've entered the realm of fantasy with that one, but everyone needs one, right?)

But then there are the smaller ones, infinitely more achievable. And maybe? More fun in the end...

Like, dance with someone I love.
Crunch through a perfect Gala apple.
Turn off all the gadgetry and page through an engrossing book.
Impose a little order on this one-square-foot area of my desk. (I don't want to add to the frustration!)
Have cereal for dinner.
Call a friend who always makes me laugh.
Cross off something from my personal to-do list, the list that nobody pays me to complete.
Take a walk.
Decide to tackle things differently.
Make a list of experiences that have enriched my life.
Ah, that's the one... see you later.

No comments: