Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Resolution

Last year it was a list of To-Dos that didn't get done, so this year I've boiled down all that I want to accomplish into a single resolution. One that's elegant in its simplicity and chock-full of reward. And here it is:

Have More Fun.

That's all. In some ways, it's sad, isn't it? That I'd let life veer off into a groove that had worn itself so deep as to become a rut.

A rut I revisited over and over again this year.

Wake up.

Work.

Eat at various times.

Sleep.

Repeat.

As Gretchen Rubin points out in her book The Happiness Project, the days are long but the years are short.

In 2009, various things occurred, many of them not-fun. So that by the end of December, it felt like I shook myself out of the little fog I'd been in, and realized, another Christmas was here.

I'd like the next year to be different from the last one. Sure, there were good things that happened, but overall, Mr. Spandrel and I agreed that 2009 could be shown the door and never come back again, thank you very much.

So far, aside from already having much more fun in just the first few weeks of January, my little resolution has had a beautiful side benefit.

It's been a blast to watch the faces of the few people I've told this to in person, because a lightbulb goes off and they smile... and they agree that it will join their already-crowded lists of resolutions.

And that is just so much fun.

2 comments:

Kitty said...

A very worthy resolution! It's all too easy to be immersed in one's job and lose that sense of fun.

Knowing you and the way you treasure moments, I can see that you'll make the most of the coming year. Go for it!

spandrelstudios said...

Kitty - you said it!

Plus, this time of year, the cold, harsh weather, is not my idea of fun in general.

So, I'm renewing my Fun Vow and coming up with a list of simpler, things to try for tomorrow.

Nothing elaborate; even just one-minute slices of fun.

Any suggestions?