Friday, May 2, 2008

Working for a Living

While it can be a lot of little things that chip away at your satisfaction over time, I believe there's always a precise moment where you realize you're in the wrong job. At least that's been the case for me.

It could occur any time.

Making the connection that there's a disconnect between one's values and the organization's.

Feeling the daily struggle to do your best work, knowing that the tasks aren't aligned with your career goals - and knowing there's a better match somewhere else.

Hearing a statement that cuts to the core of the problem, articulating the ennui you've struggled so hard to put your finger on.

Whatever the situation, there's a moment of clarity encased in glass, "Yes! That's exactly why this isn't working!"

I've been through my share of light bulb moments - and job searches.

This last search was the most satisfying because after many years, I absolutely know myself. It's taken a while to believe the results of the inventory, but I know my talents, I know my interests, and all that was left was finding where my skills are put to best use.

People talk about being your best self, your most authentic. Knowing yourself is paramount. Too often we struggle along, trying to make things right, when the wrong is in the fit.

Trying something else on for size might involve a small shift, like changing roles or even departments. Or it could require a bigger commitment, like changing the organization you work for entirely.

But change is good. And like the cliches say, the only constant is change, these days.

I'm about to embark on a job change that on the face of it sounds like a perfect match. Room for growth, a chance to apply hard-won knowledge, and to take advantage of opportunities for learning.

At the same time, I'm bringing a new attitude to work, ensuring that I make time for the other things in life that are important to me, that give life balance.

That's definitely been challenging in the past. But that's what's good about the future - the future is unwritten.

It's an exciting time - scary, but good scary!

6 comments:

fishwithoutbicycle said...

Oooh good luck with the new job :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Fish!

I've lived through Day 1, and I'm happy to report that things look very good!

bob c said...

once again, some great thoughts to be found in your blog. it's so easy to get lost in the routine and lose focus of our goals like the ones u shared. may i suggest you pick a random date in your calendar (september?) and remind yourself to read this blog again?

i'd wish u luck w/ the new job, but u don't need it. regardless, i'm looking forward to an update after the honeymoon is over!

Kitty said...

Let us know how it goes, as it goes. I hope it's a good match!
Change is a good and necessary part of life.

To me it's a whole grass is greener phenom, which I can't articulate right now when my two brain cells are tired. Anyhow, have fun with it!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Bob - thanks for the reminder! Really, I need to write those goals down on a card and post them on my wall! Since there's so much to learn right now, I'm not even thinking of my own goals...

But I've done as you've suggested and made a note in my calendar a few months from now to check in and make sure I'm focusing on them.

Anonymous said...

Kitty, your grass is greener outlook is so true. I think that's why I love to travel - there always seems to be something more interesting to learn, see or do anywhere but "here," wherever here is.

Similarly with work, it's when we tire of the same ol' same ol' challenges that we seek out new ones. This new place definitely has some significant challenges, and my brain is just whirring with ideas on how to make things happen for them!

It's exciting because the people I'm working with now are energized about what lies ahead, too... We'll see how it goes!