Saturday, January 24, 2009

Playing with Fire, Part I

Day One of my lampworked bead class is over, and it was exhilarating, exhausting and a big-fat creative kick in the pants.

Because if there's one thing I've learned today, other how not to get burned on a 900-degree torch (this from someone with big fear-of-fire issues who hates to even turn on a propane grill), all while the process zings tiny shards of glass everywhere, it's that learning gives me a real jolt!

So much so that I came home and babbled for nearly an hour to Mr Spandrel about the way things are done and how fun it was to give it a whirl.

Although there's still another whole day to go, who knows if this will take hold as a new hobby. But one thing's for sure, it's reminded me of something important:

Sign up for as many classes for interesting things as I can, and keep those creative fires stoked.

4 comments:

Kitty said...

aw, that's cute how excited you were!

spandrel studios said...

yeah, it was like going back to school and meeting other friends who were into the same obscure things! I took the class with a group of painters and potters who were just so inspiring!

heather said...

i hear ya. i get the same way. starting a web class at UArts tomorrow night--can't wait. if only classes didn't cost money... :(

spandrel studios said...

Heather - that's great about the web class! Just starting something new can be an inspiring fresh start... Can't wait to hear how it goes!