Sunday, December 9, 2007

Jewish Apple Cake

Oy, such a dilemma.

After years of using my mother's recipe for Jewish Apple Cake, as a favor to my mother-in-law, today I made the recipe recently featured in the New York Times.

We're off to Hanukkah dinner to give it a taste test. And I will report back to let you know what the verdict is.

If it turns out to be a bust, perhaps I will share my Mom's secret.

Clarification:
In re-reading this, I realized that paragraph 2 makes it sound like my mother-in-law has been suffering through my Mom's recipe for Jewish Apple Cake and asked me to give that up and make the Times version instead. Not true!

Actually, my mother-in-law had noticed the recipe and wanted to try it, or have me make it. IN eating the cake, we realized I've never made my family's recipe for them, despite being married to their sone for 15 years!

In fact, when we were discussing recipes and I mentioned the attributes of my Mom's recipe (which really is delicious; as attendees of countless office parties and family functions will attest), my mother-in-law asked me why I'd never made it for them before!

So now that recipe's on the must-bake list for this holiday season. So many cakes, so little time!

No comments: