Sunday, December 30, 2007

Proustian Peanut Butter Bars

This week, I had occasion to visit with a number of old friends that I've known for most of my life.

The people in this circle of friends have gone their separate ways, moved away, married, come back again, stayed away - a whole range of experiences.

During one visit this week, a friend made the same chocolate-frosted peanut butter bars many of us enjoyed as kids during our sugar-fueled high school days.

Some of us recall eating them as our sole lunch entree, since they were a staple at our school's cafeteria.

Like Proust's madeleines, these peanut butter bars coupled with the sounds of these friends' voices transported me back to that simpler time.

I closed my eyes and heard the same din from the cafeteria, a setting where many of our friendships took shape, grew stronger, and had some impact on who we all are today.

Who knew that a simple dessert could have such powers?

No comments: