Friday, January 18, 2008

(Lip)stick in a Box

About a week ago, I placed an order with Barneys New York and then promptly forgot about it. This morning, the Fedex truck pulled up, and the guy loped across the yard, box in hand.



It was like Christmas! So I opened the box.


And unfolded the tissue paper...



And took out the kraft paper stuffing...



And unwrapped the blobby, loaf-of-bread-sized corrugated paper packaging... (Speaking of bread, this is taking so long I need a snack.)


Then unrolled the taped-up bubble wrap ...


Then untaped some more tissue paper...

To get to the lipstick I'd ordered. Thank goodness it wasn't damaged in shipping.



(Note the soda can on the left side, for scale.)

The only redeeming factor here is that I will recycle this stuff. But still. A single lipstick doesn't need to be shipped in a box measuring 9" x 11" x 6" and six layers of packaging. A padded envelope will do.

Dear Barneys New York,
Please lighten up on the packaging!
Thank you,
Spandrel Studios

5 comments:

bob c said...

Dear Spandrel Studios,
Please lighten up on the small orders and order enough to fill the entire box!
Thank You,
Barneys New York

Kitty said...

I can't believe the packaging.
How nuts.

Jeepers!!

Spandrel Studios said...

It was ridiculous - but when it arrived, even my husband was intrigued... Given the size of the box, I think he was convinced that I'd bought a pair of boots or several pairs of shoes! (He was relieved it was just a lipstick.)

Anonymous said...

is that a serious comment from Barneys????

a box that size for an order that size is ridiculous

Spandrel Studios said...

No, that first comment was not really from Barneys. (Hi, Bob!)

Although "order more" certainly appears to be the implication, with all the packing material they sent me!